Friday, June 15, 2007

Maaaaarvelous Macro

I had always heard wonderful things about the Canon macro lens I just purchased, but I couldn't bring myself to take the plunge before now since I already had a Canon lens with the exact same focal length, plus it is a faster prime, just no macro.

Well....I have no buyer's remorse in fact, I might only do macro photography from here on out. Might make weddings a bit of a challenge...but I sure will get some juicy ring shots!

Just a few test shots from my front yard. The lens did make me realize how shaky my hands are and that I need to practice holding my breath since I don't want to use a tripod. Oh and that the depth of field on this thing can be ultra shallow!

None of these images have been cropped in the slightest and they are even shaper in full resolution. Cool, eh?




Even the arch-nemesis of our lawn looks better in macro.

Yep, even a rock sitting on concrete looks kinda neat!

5 comments:

Lisa Walsh said...

I'm totally green with envy. I want that lens sooooo bad for What's It Wednesday! I almost sold my fisheye to get it last week. Alas, I will have to wait.

The first image is my fav! Nice DOF there. When does Macro Monday start???

Jen said...

You are so funny! Your weekly contest is the reason I became obsessed and got it! For all of you reading the comments, click on Lisa's name and bookmark her blog. Every Wednesday you can compete against me and others guessing random items that Lisa has "marco-ed". Oh wait, I don't need more competition, I barely have a chance as it is ;-)

Lisa Walsh said...

LOL!

I dropped my macro lens at the reception today and was like "Oh, bummer...I hope I didn't break it. I might have to get a new one, hehe". The Husband would think I did it on purpose, just so I could upgrade!

Can't wait to see some wedding pics!

Anne said...

I just bought a macro too - but it's more like a filter than a lens (but it's definitely a lens) and it attaches to my 85mm or my 50mm! I couldn't justify a new lens either - so this was the perfect solution (and 1/3rd the price!! Don't hate me!)
http://www.adorama.com/CA58CU250D.html

Lisa Walsh said...

Thanks, Anne! I'll have to check that out!