Sunday, January 20, 2008

Calgon....please take me away!

The "terrible twos" are in full swing lately at our house, and things don't seem to be on the downhill at all either. I won't joke about finding a boarding school for toddlers (some people might think I am serious!).

The highlight of the last week was my son getting his haircut. That, my friends, is not a good sign!

But in spite of all of the recent battles and tantrums...tonight, he finally made me smile.

Before bed, we say prayers and my son says the end of every line as I pause.

Me: Now I lay me down to
Son: Sleep
Me: I pray the Lord my soul to
Son: Keep

You get the gist.

At the end, we finish with...

Me: God bless mommy and
Son: Daddy
Me: Grandmas and
Son Poppas

and so on

So tonight, the same prayer and when we get to the "God Bless" part....

Me: God bless mommy and
Son: Me Mouse (that's Mickey Mouse in case you were wondering)

I pause, try not to laugh and wait for a response from him. NOTHING! So I start again...

Me: God bless mommy and
Son: Me Mouse! (except this time he screams it in case I didn't hear him the first time).
Me: Okay, God bless Me Mouse...and how about daddy?
Son: (picks his head off my shoulder, looks me straight in the eyes) Okay...daddy too. (then holds up his index finger, points it at me and shakes it) But Me Mouse FIRST mommy, Me Mouse first!

Me: Okay, Me Mouse first...(sorry dad!)


One of my son's Christmas presents was bubble bath. I thought about giving it away, not that I didn't appreciate the gift, but I just wasn't sure I could handle where adding bubbles to bath time might lead.

There are many baths I wish I would have followed my gut, but there are a few times I am so glad I didn't deprive my son of one of the the simple joys of childhood....bubble beards!

I guess he likes them.

So, I recently purchased a new lens and figured I should practice with it a bit since it is a little slow on auto-focus even though it is a very fast lens. My son was not about getting his picture taken though....I guess I should have turned off Veggie Tales to improve my chances of getting him to look at me.

You can almost sense him getting fed up with me even though he's not paying attention to me ;-)

He inches closer to the TV as if to cut off my angle. Silly boy!


Frustrated, I attempt to find a more "willing" and happy subject...another big mistake. Anyone think my life is sad now? Meet Harvey. The only reason (bribe) we made it through the recent haircut!

...because the minute I touched Harvey....I get this look!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

He is so stinking cute.

We say the same prayer at bedtime as well. When we do "God Bless" I always say "God Bless" and Porter fills in the words. It usually consists of "Portah (he's always first), Mama, Daddy, Twucks, 'Ment Mixers, Nina and Papa, toys, tractors..." and all the like.. HAHA! Boys... crazy little creatures.

TwoRing said...

I think i've said this so many times before but he is soooo stinkin' cute! He has the best expressions!

Lisa Walsh said...

ROFLMAO! Harvey and I go waaaaay back. :)

What a cute bubble beard!